Friday, September 16, 2022

Beginning Of A Journey

 Today I set off on the first of many legs of the most intense challenge I have ever attempted. We traveled from Las Vegas, NV this morning, leaving around six thirty and made our way to the charming town of Parachute, CO. On our way here we attempted to stop in a town that was nothing more than shacks and trailers along with one gas station so small I couldn't get in because my bike on top of the car would have been damaged by the overhang of the building. We immediately turned around and found a much larger station to fill up and just down the road made our stop for sandwiches. 

Sustained from lunch we were back on the road and passed some of the amazing scenery this part of the country is known for. We made great time through Nevada and the fast pass through Arizona. Utah gave us some breathtaking sights such as Devil's Canyon where we stopped for a few pictures before heading on to Colorado. We made another stop in Palisade where I was fortunate enough to be interviewed over the phone by a reporter from the Las Vegas Sun. She talked to me and my mom about how we are feeling and preparing as well as what we are most nervous and excited about for the trip. Once that finished we set back out and got checked in for the night, even having the manager offer us a locked safe room for my bikes so we didn't have to drag them upstairs with us to our room on the third floor. 

I am looking forward to continuing on tomorrow and see more of Colorado as well as making our way across Nebraska. But as I lay here in my hotel bed tonight the main thing I keep thinking about is the surprise send off this morning. My wonderful husband called friends and had them come by my house at six in the morning, even though they live on the opposite side of town. They waved a purple flag, my brand color, and gave me hugs before my mom and I drove away. It was such a sweet gesture and it meant everything to me to have that kind of love and support. I am excited for him to join us later on in the journey and for my friends to hopefully be there to cross the finish line with me in a few weeks.

If you would like more information about the ride and charities you can head over to my website www.writingforces.com or visit the Facebook page Ride 22 On 66 for more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment