Monday, August 15, 2022

Monday Motivation - Bo Jackson

 "Set your goals high and don't stop until you get there" - Bo Jackson

I am not in the best physical condition, at least not when it comes to doing a long distance, multiple terrain-crossing bicycle ride. Someone trying to take on this ambitious ride should be in a similar condition as those who compete in the Tour de France. I could maybe survive a stage or two of that ride. Thankfully my ride is not a race and the only time limit is the 22 days, not a time trial every day.

I have created a ride that will challenge me mentally as well as physically and while I am terrified, I am also looking forward to it. I've been tested in my life as everyone has but I have rarely had the opportunity to test myself on such a large scale. This will be a real learning experience for me and a chance to see what I am made of for perseverance, determination, and grit. I know I will have to dig deep within myself and push beyond my current limits to achieve this goal. Doubt will creep in, most likely on a semi regular basis, but I know how much I want this and how important the cause is to me. That should be enough to keep me going. 

While there are days that are distances I have already conquered, they may also contain climbs or terrain I have never faced. I do my best to train and think of the best way to prepare but the fact is, some things I cannot go out and accomplish easily. I cannot get used to riding in multiple types of weather because I am faced with a very static climate. It is hot and sunny in Las Vegas almost all the time. There is virtually no humidity, at least compared to mid-West states such as Illinois and Missouri. I have some mountain climbs around me but few would be like the ones in New Mexico or Arizona. I can ride through the city but that won't prepare me for following a path through cities I have never visited.

But I will make it through. I will pedal and push until I cross the finish line each night and when I finally come across the end in Santa Monica I will know I gave it my all and achieved something that seemed impossible and that I did it for reasons important to me as well as doing it for myself. Each mile ridden is another I never thought I could do. Every milestone accomplished will be a reason to push for the next one. Finding that inner strength is not only about riding across Route 66 and being successful in a bike ride but about proving to myself I can do what I set out to accomplish and being proud of myself for reaching that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment