Thursday, September 22, 2022

Day 1 - September 22nd

 Today would have been my dad's 70th birthday. He has been gone for 15 years this year (the anniversary for that happens during the ride as well). I was sure that was the thing that would make me cry as I set off on my journey. It was quite a day from getting up at 4:30am and getting to Buckingham Fountain in time for my 7am step off to finally resting in our hotel in Normal, IL. We are exhausted but happy.

We had a number of short lived moments from navigation on my phone acting up but then coming through and getting me to all of my destinations to the radios we use for communication not being turned up high enough at first so even though we were ultimately able to connect we had to laugh at the obvious solution. But as we reached every new rest stop or meal location we got better and faster at preparing for the stop and the restart. The lunch restaurant we went to was adorable and we met a very sweet man at the Gemini Giant in Wilmington. He actually played a role in our day twice.

While I intend to be brief, we are kind of tired from the day, there is a story I have to share. My chase car was ahead of me, heading to our next rendezvous spot when I got stopped up by a red light. I was waiting for it to turn when a man in the truck next to me yelled out, "Oh my God, it's you!" 

I was completely taken aback. I asked him if he was sure I was the person he thought he knew and he said yes. It turns out he knew about my ride because his ex wife lives in Las Vegas, like I do, and saw me on the news. When she heard I was riding in honor of those battling and lost to PTSD she shared the news story with him. His brother was a veteran who struggled and lost his battle earlier this year. He knew the ride started today and made a couple stops in the area, including the Gemini Giant where he encountered the nice man mentioned previously. When he found out he just missed us he set off trying to find us. He thanked me for what I was doing and told me about his brother and how he knew about the ride. I wish he had been able to get out of the vehicle, I would have given him the wristband I always wear with the name of the ride on it. 

He did stay behind me for about a mile after we left the light because there were areas of that road with no shoulder so he stayed close and waved other vehicles around to protect me while riding in the street. I got to my mom and told her to hold up because I had to share the story. It was heartwarming through and through and I am honored to be able to represent people so loved. 

I was protected a few times as I rode. The man I just shared about, my mom of course as she kept me safe all day, and at one point I had to ride through a long construction area on a very narrow shoulder. There were a number of semis and a school bus that pushed past me but toward the end, when it may have been becoming clear how stressed I was going through that section, another school bus who had just watched a semi get by me, stayed behind and kept all other cars traveling the single lane back behind it so I could get clear. I am speechless at the amount of support I has been shown and cannot wait to get back out on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment