Saturday, September 17, 2022

Roadtrip Continues

 This morning started off with something I am not used to, wet and cold weather. It was just above fifty degrees as we made our way out of the hotel to load the bikes on my dripping car. Thankfully the manager had kept them in a locked safe room for us overnight so we just had to bring them out from the lobby after we put our bags away. It was a shock but felt great to have the refreshing chill kiss us good morning as we gathered ice for the coolers and got out on the road.

Clouds hung low and heavy with moisture, observing us as we wound through the mountain passes, enjoyed views of the Colorado river, disappeared into and reappeared from tunnels all along the scenic drive. At one point it dropped down to forty six and I asked my mom to stop for hot chocolate so I could warm up my hands. The cashier at the gas station we went to asked about my bikes and I told him about riding Route 66 for charity. He said he wished he could do more to help but he would at least like to give me the drink for free so I could comfortably continue on my drive. I thanked him and rushed back through the cool air to my car.

Just before we reached Denver the clouds broke up and the sun came out to dry the remaining drops on the car. We turned north, heading toward the I-80 and slowly progressed, making a couple stops along the way. We snacked on items we had with us in order to help our food budget stay down as well as begin to lighten the load in the car. We watched as the scenery turned from tree covered mountains to wheat filled fields then, upon entering Nebraska, the wheat fields became acres of corn. With the stops for gas and other needs it took us over twelve hours to reach our destination tonight and unlike the chill last night, tonight we stepped out into humid heat. With lightning cascading through the clouds overhead we quickly unloaded the bikes and bags and got settled into our room. Dinner was at a restaurant located in the same parking lot and now we are in, preparing to get some sleep and complete the first part of our journey to Chicago tomorrow.

We are grateful for all of the support we are getting, including a generous fifty dollar donation that came through this morning for the charities. Please remember you can find more information on my website www.writingforces.com or through the Facebook page Ride 22 On 66.

No comments:

Post a Comment