Thursday, September 29, 2022

Day 7 & 8 - September 28th & 29th

 I am combining posts because I spent the last 2 days in the vehicle working on healing from my crash and so there was a significantly smaller amount of things we truly experienced. Yesterday on the first stop though, I got to see something I have wanted to see for years, The Blue Whale of Catoosa, OK. Ever since my husband bought a book of ghost towns and roadside attractions in the U.S. I have wanted to check it out. While we were there the guy working the gift shop made a dream of mine happen and pulled my bike down for me so I could get the picture of it in the whale's mouth even though I was in a sling. I was able to talk to him and the incredible woman he works with, Liz and Alex, about what I am working toward and they shared pictures and my story on their Facebook page. They were a highlight of the day all by themselves.

From there we drove on to Tulsa where we went to Tom's Bicycles to try and get the damaged front tire repaired on the bike I crashed. He didn't have the rim I needed in stock but took it upon himself to call around and find me one and while he did that he did a tune up for free on the rest of the bike. His kindness nearly brought me to tears. After we left his shop we made our way over to Bicycles Of Tulsa where the crew was happy to help by selling us the exact rim I needed and a new helmet since my old one is also destroyed. They even gave us a discount in honor of my ride.

My mom found a spot in her passport at the Buck Atom statue to get stamped so we made a quick stop before heading to the Heart of Route 66 Auto Museum. We saw several old cars and even learned they give rides in a 100 year old Packard on weekends. We finished in Stroud at the Rock Cafe, a place that has been on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives but when we were there it was quiet. We still had to drive to our hotel several miles away but were ready for a good night sleep. It was an interesting night since it was a converted hotel from possibly a nursing home and we spent the night trying to figure out how to get the bikes and gear into the room with us.

Check out this morning came early and we drove straight to Oklahoma City. I was scheduled to stop there but not see the OKC Bombing Memorial. Since the third and final bike shop we were going to was needing a few hours to squeeze us in we took the opportunity to stop by and check out the museum and memorial site. It was moving but with the 1 October anniversary happening in a couple days I struggled a bit seeing it all. I remember it happening but I was twelve at the time and realizing in 2025 it will have been 30 years already took my breath away.

We came through Hydro on the way to the hotel tonight and learned the Lucille's Gas Station landmark was damaged in a recent storm. It isn't too bad but still sad when old landmarks fall apart. We are in another independent hotel tonight and enjoying the variety of everything we see between the chains and the places from the heyday of Route 66. We had looked into places to check out and spots to eat but as soon as we unloaded we felt our exhaustion. We have been running on adrenaline since the crash and it ran us down as we settled into the room. Now that we had showered and I have taken some meds for my shoulder we are turning in for the night. With any luck I will be back on two wheels in the morning.

Thank you to everyone that has been donating to the charities and supporting me as I make my way whether on two wheels or four. I may have to do some small modifications until I am 100% but I will be on the bike and pushing forward to complete this mission. You can follow along on the Facebook page Ride 22 On 66 and there is information there in the pinned post about how to support the charities as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment