Wednesday, September 21, 2022

The Final Countdown

 Now that the song is stuck in your head, I can tell you about a very quick moving but slow paced day. I planned to get up at 5:30 this morning to get a good, hard workout in then grab breakfast from the free buffet offered by the hotel. After that there were a number of last minute tasks planned such as laundry, double checking the tires on the car, putting some items back in the car and staging the remaining stuff in the room for easy exit in the morning. We also needed to charge everything and practice with my bike computer to make sure the routes would load correctly. But just like the train plan yesterday, things went awry.

I woke up this morning just after 2am with a screaming migraine. My head felt swollen and even the tiniest crack of moonlight coming in through the curtains felt like a stab into my brain. I took some medication and went back to bed but when the alarm went off at 5:30 I was not capable of getting up. If it had been an official day of the ride I would have forced myself but because I knew I could rest I stayed in bed and buried my face in the pillows. When my mom got up to get food I was still too nauseous to eat. There was only ten minutes left of the buffet when I was finally able to get up and go grab a little something. Once I ate and took a second dose of the medicine I began to feel a little better. But several productive hours I hoped to have were now gone for good.

I still managed to get a workout in, charge everything up, load what I could and stage the rest. The car has been checked out and gassed up. We are now in bed hoping for sleep because that 4:30am alarm is going to come way too fast. I am shaking with nerves for tomorrow but I am also looking forward to putting this long time planning into action. I will be sharing pictures when I have meal breaks and finish for the day but I may be quieter on social media and these updates will probably be shorter like this one once I am riding and in the zone each day. Thank you to everyone that has been following me and seeing our adventure so far. The real journey begins in less that 12 hours. See you on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment