Monday, September 19, 2022

Mission: Recon

 Six o'clock came way too early today after a fitful night sleep. I tossed and turned, woke up several times, and felt disoriented from a series of odd and stress filled dreams. The bed was comfortable, the room is homey, I just couldn't calm my mind enough to rest. I knew today would be a challenge and it lived up to that idea quite well.

We are staying currently at a Holiday Inn Express so we get to indulge in the free breakfast buffet each morning. I am grateful for that because it allows us to save on our daily food budget. We also packed snacks to have as lunch, another money saver, before we hit the road. Our first stop was in Chicago. It took almost forty-five minutes to reach our destination of Buckingham Fountain which will be where I start riding from in just a couple days. I sat in awe briefly as we slowly cruised past and smiled to myself as I pictured taking off with such a beautiful sight as my background. We weren't able to check out the start of the ride because I was supposed to be on a bike trail. I told my mom we would have to check that part out online when we got back. 

We reached what will be my first rest stop at Imperial Oak Brewing about a half hour after we left the fountain. It was a quiet and scenic place along a small river. Right across the water from the patio was the start of the bike trail I planned to take toward my second stop. However when we got to the entrance we found out the entire path is under construction and completely closed. I was devastated because there is no other legal bike path right in that area. but my mom suggested we could load the bike and take it to the second stop where I would resume riding. I agreed eventually though I am struggling with already feeling like I am failing. She keeps telling me that this is something beyond my control and I am still pushing through to ride every bit of every mile available to me.

When we got to the second stop, Dick's Towing, we saw a small wooden box filled with bricks and a sign stating they were from the original Route 66. We took pictures standing on them of course, and a few of the cars displayed by the original building. The business it still there but now located next door in a much larger facility. From there we traced the route to Silver Dollar Restaurant where we will be stopping for lunch and then drove on to the Gemini Giant. The statue was very cool and we took a picture in front of a sign saying Route 66. 

Unfortunately while in the gift shop I was met with a very terse woman whose attitude and curtness got to me. She asked me, rudely, why I was doing my ride and when I said for charity she dismissed me saying there were other ways to give back. She is absolutely entitled to her opinion, and I know my lack of restful sleep and stress played a large role, but I snapped and had to walk out before I said something I would regret. She made me feel stupid for attempting this journey and I broke down for a few minutes and cried. I am glad I didn't say or do anything in front of her because she has a right to feel and say what she wants, it was just too much for me in the moment.

As we left there I was having a little trouble with Google Maps and it all felt overwhelming. Thankfully my mom was a calming force and we started talking about funny memories and plans for the ride to make me smile again. We made our way to Dwight, Il where I was supposed to visit a now defunct hot dog stand but it no longer exists even as a landmark so we had to modify my rest stop point. We moved on to Pontiac, Il and the Fiesta Motel also making a brief stop at the Route 66 museum and getting the Route 66 passport my mom picked up stamped. With one final stop we were thrilled by our progress. We drove to Chenoa, Il in search of an old mural but time had faded and washed it away so we changed my final stopping point to a pretty gazebo across the street.

I am proud of the ability to think on our feet and know it will be a handy attribute as we get through the next 3 weeks on the bike. There are so many things I am looking forward to and several things I am beyond stressed over. I appreciate everyone that has reached out to show support on social media such as the ride Facebook page Ride 22 On 66 and through my website www.writingforces.com as well as those who have checked out the gofundme link on the Facebook page and donated to the charities. Everything you have done is making it possible for me to show these organizations just how meaningful they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment