Thursday, April 20, 2017

Day 51 - Follow Up

I had intended to write about something else today but there was a tremendous response over the course of social media as well as in person to my post from yesterday. I was at a complete loss when I had the conversation about why I did not fit certain stereotypes so in his eyes I could not be a dealer. My faith in humanity somewhat restored by those that stood up and joined in my frustration I wanted to follow up. I would also like to thank those that took the time to reach out and let me know they are with me not only in spirit but also through shared experiences or similar misunderstandings.

Unfortunately that was not the first time I have come across someone with that type of mentality. I am sure it will not be the last either. I have attended book shows in the past or set up at a craft show event with my author table and people ask me if I am the model for the author or if I am a reader waiting for the author to return. Both are frustrating questions to say the least. While I am flattered that I could be mistaken for a cover model in any capacity (though if I were ever put next to a real one I doubt that mistake would be made) I struggle to believe people cannot see me as an author. I have even gotten to the point when I attend shows that I will agonize over outfits and accessories in order to look more "author like".

KM Weiland, JK Rowling, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Janet Ivanovich just a few names of female authors that are not retirees writing about cooking and gardening. They are not fat, old, unattractive women writing romance novels because they can't find a man of their own. They are successful authors and women to be admired. I know I didn't list any male authors, and while I have been inspired by many including Stephen King, RL Stine, Terry Pratchet and Edgar Allan Poe, the statement my coworker made allowed for men to be authors making my irritation about women writers like myself.

One of the many things that makes the writing world, and indeed all of life, so interesting is the fact we come from many diverse backgrounds. We have our own experiences and world views. We write with biases and passions unique to ourselves while also reaching out and finding others we may never have known share those same ideas. If we all fit into some perfect, stereotypical bubble things would be much less fun. I am proud to break the mold and I thank those that have stepped outside the box, whether in writing or any or aspect of their lives, for helping prove we never have to be who someone else thinks we should be. We can choose to follow our own paths and make our dreams come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment