Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Motivation On Monday

 "If you can dream in, you can do it." Walt Disney

As I am preparing for my ride coming up in September I have found this quote is something that rings in my mind quite often. I have it written on the calendar in my office as well as one of the quotes that scrolls across my computer screen from time to time.

Two years ago I took a road trip and as we drove along a section of Route 66 I was struck by how charming the area was. I mentioned that I felt it would be a great place to ride my bike but was immediately asked where I would be coming from or going to as where we were wasn't close to any other town. I replied I didn't know but it seemed like something I would enjoy doing. We finished our food and continued on our drive. 

I have always loved Route 66. I can't get enough of the history, the scenery, the pure Americana of it. As we travelled I kept finding spots I wanted to check out or take pictures of at each turn. My husband has participated in a cross country motorcycle ride and they also travel along different sections of or at least near Route 66 so we discussed that as we went along. I told him I was inspired by his trip but being that I prefer pedal power I thought a trip like that would be exciting on a bicycle. He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye, telling me it was a pipe dream without ever uttering a word, and continued down the road. 

It was a pipe dream. My problem, at least one of them, is that the more impossible something sounds the more I have to try it. I become obsessed. The idea of training for a ride that spans more than twenty three hundred miles is daunting to say the least. On top of the distance, when I ultimately decided it was going to be more than just a dream but an attempted reality, I chose to pursue this endeavor in just twenty two days. It averages out to close to one hundred and nine miles per day by the route I created. Yes I am capable of riding one hundred miles in a single day. However, this is doing so over a variety of terrain, regardless of weather, and repeatedly for just over three weeks. But I did say it was a dream.

According to Mr. Disney, because I dreamt it, I can achieve it. I am fighting and training as hard as possible to prove this quote to be true. What is it you dream of making happen in your own life?

No comments:

Post a Comment