Monday, April 18, 2022

Monday Motivation

 "When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor." - Elon Musk

This past weekend I did a short road trip that covered a few days of my upcoming ride. I drove out to Chambers, AZ then turned around and started making my way back along my route. I was able to check rest stops, food stops, and that the course was workable and safe. It was an eye opener to be out there again and see some of the climbs as I made my way west and proceeded from location to location.

For a few moments I was feeling disheartened and doubting as I thought about the amount of energy, stamina, and simple determination it would take to make it through each day of the ride. I couldn't help but question if I truly have it in me. The distance (2346.4 miles) is inconceivable in my mind, even now. I am focusing on each day individually, keeping my goals smaller and only trying to accomplish the next milestone. It is still hard to overlook what is right in front of you though and as I was watching the next hill or obstacle through the drive I voiced my concerns about being able to do it.

I was asked if I am that worried why not back out and admit I took on too large of a challenge. The truth is I have considered it a couple times but I always stayed the course and kept pushing. When I stopped in Seligman, AZ, I went to Delgadillos Snow Cap and looked out at Old Highway 66. Three years ago I sat in that same location, glancing along the road and commented on what a great place it would be to ride your bicycle through. At the time the question was where I would be coming from or going to because Seligman is in the middle of nowhere. I shrugged and said I wasn't sure but it was something I would like to do. From there I kept thinking about it and the idea grew and modified until it became what it is today, a twenty two day ride covering Route 66 in order to raise money for charities that help people like myself with PTSD. 

I walked along the street, stopping into the souvenir shops and checking out the memorabilia, remembering the last time I was there. I ended up speaking with a shop owner who is related to Angel Delgadillo, owner of the Snow Cap and I told him about my ride. He shared my enthusiasm for the project and offered to help promote it because he wanted to be a part of something so meaningful. That was all it took to quiet the fears and doubt. It was a reminder of just how important the ride and the organizations it supports are to me and why I took on this life changing challenge in the first place. This is important enough so I will be giving it my all, no matter what the odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment