Friday, April 15, 2022

Charity Spotlight - Code Green Campaign

 As I shared when I did the spotlight on Crash, this charity is different. For those not familiar with their work, they are an organization that focuses on the mental well being of first responders. It was not immediately apparent to many who had read Crash why I chose to associate this book and charity but there is a connection.

To start with, there is a fatal car accident in Crash and first responders are sent to deal with the aftermath. One of those same first responders shows up again in Sharing Strength and represents a form of hope and healing. This was something I wanted to showcase. The story is about Craig but we don't live our lives in a vacuum so I wanted to make sure that the people he interacted with could be just as impactful as he was himself. On top of that, I was shown first hand, just how difficult things can be for first responders and I had never stopped to think about the trauma they are exposed to day in and day out without most people noticing just how much it can affect them.

Almost five years ago a tragic event took place in my beautiful city. Las Vegas was the site of a horrendous shooting that killed nearly sixty people and injured over five hundred. The damage is still felt to this day and nearly every citizen of the valley feels it in our hearts and souls. I heard the shots. I heard screams and people running. I felt the fear and will never forget seeing the lights of the ambulances and police arriving on scene. I made it home that night and watched through burning, tear streaming eyes as the news attempted to update on the chaos. I didn't sleep. I sat on my sofa, wrapped in a blanket, and stared at the television. I stared at those who were there and working. I didn't know it at the time but I would later meet some of them and they would show me a glimpse into their world I would never forget.

After the shooting I was fortunate enough to help build the memorial park we have to honor the victims. I met representatives of Code Green as they worked with local first responders and spoke about the ! October Fund set up to help the victim's families and the survivors, especially those who worked so hard that night to save people. At the end of the park build there was an event to paint tiles that would be fired and glazed then used to decorate part of the walkway and benches of the park. I helped with that as well. When I heard there was going to be a second tile painting I volunteered to help. I didn't know until I got there it was exclusively for the first responders who were there that night.

I overheard a woman telling another volunteer that her husband was one of the EMTs who had helped transport people and coming to the tile painting was the first time he had left the house since that night. I asked who he was and if it would be ok to go talk to him. She said I was welcome to try. He had a far off look I have never seen before when I approached and I almost turned around. It was as if he were still seeing that night play before him all the time. I did finally speak to him. I introduced myself and told him I admired what he sacrificed to do what he did. It was the first time he looked directly at someone all night. I said for him to give up his own mental well being to save others was something I couldn't imagine being able to handle and I just wanted to say thank you for having a courage most could only dream of. He stood up and hugged me and when he did he started to cry.

He held me for a long time as his entire body shook. He cried loud and long and didn't care who saw. It made several others begin to cry as well but not out of sorrow. It was like they had been given permission to let go. First responders are the ones we turn to when things are going wrong and they are trained to stay cool under pressure. That doesn't mean they aren't human. They struggle and hurt and still have to keep pushing even when the rest of us would have broken down. I am honored to be raising money and awareness for Code Green Campaign because what they do and who they serve truly deserves to be in the spotlight more often. Please take  moment to learn more about this worthy organization at https://codegreencampaign.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment