Saturday, March 14, 2015

Saying Goodbye To A Legend

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods. They have not forgotten this."

I first read this quote a mere year ago and laughed so hard I was reduced to tears. It so eloquently described my four little monsters and as they lay there sun bathing I reflected on the simple honesty represented by the statement. Some people have an ability to state things with such elegant simplicity that I find myself constantly entertained as well as inspired.

Terry Pratchett was a hero to many in the literary world, myself included. I first became familiar with his work my junior year of high school. I was taking a Korean class at the local university and studied with one of the teachers who worked with me during a study hall and reading class he also taught. One day he was gone and the substitute insisted that I find a book from the cabinet and read like the rest of the students.

I looked through the stacks eventually coming across a dusty book in the back with a lime green and royal purple cover that simply said "The Truth". I had never heard of Terry Pratchett nor I was remotely familiar with the Discworld. It took me a few weeks to get really into the book but once I reached the end of the book I knew I had to find others by the same author. I began looking through book stores and finally found a section of his work. There were dozens.

He made me laugh with every book I read. I felt deeply for a number of characters and have gotten to know them through my continued visits to the Disc as I explored novel after novel. He had a way of drawing you into his unique perspective and taking you on a journey that could change the way you see things once you finished.

"It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done."

He never accepted that there were people out there that believed he wasn't going to be able to do whatever he wanted. This is something I am working to implement in my own life. I have fought against my fears and insecurities for years but taking this quote to heart I hope to find the ability to measure up to his inspiration and use the motivation of walking in the footsteps of one of my heroes. It is not that I want to walk his path, I have my own goals and directions but instead I want to take Sir Terry Pratchett along with me in my heart.

"It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life."

He lived a full life. I like much of the world am devastated by the loss of him and his unmatched mind. His mind however was leaving him as he suffered through Alzheimers. He passed away surrounded by those he loved, including his cat, and he is no longer having to fight. He will never be forgotten and his words will inspire for generations. He was my hero, a literary legend and he will be greatly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment