Sunday, February 20, 2022

New Platforms

 Recently I had a meeting with a marketing firm and the owner asked if I was on TikTok. I told him no and he immediately told me I was doing things wrong and had to be on there if I wanted to make any impact or attract followers / supporters. I explained I looked into it but hadn't found it to be the right platform for me. I struggle to think of things to write in a quick Facebook post on any sort of regular basis, I forget Twitter exists unless someone new follows me or comments on something that Facebook automatically shared. Instagram is something I check and try to remember but I fail to think of content there just like with anywhere else. And let's just forget about LinkedIn.

It got me thinking though, what platforms do you use and how do you use them? I originally joined Facebook while doing volunteer work overseas. I met so many people that I wanted to stay in touch with and being able to chat online was essential as overseas calls and texts were still expensive at that point. I managed to stay on just Facebook and enjoyed playing games or talking to my new friends or those I reconnected with from my past. It was several years before I considered adding any other types of social media but when I published my first book I was pushed to join Twitter as well. Thankfully you can connect them so posting to one will show up on both. Even now though, I still struggle to be consistent.

I added Instagram just a couple years ago and at first I was doing well adding pictures but that tapered off like everything else as I realized I am not very good at remembering to take pictures when I go out and do things. Even though I do use Instagram for pictures I have rarely, if ever now that I really think about it, added any videos.

I would love to do more of the Youtube type of videos but I don't know how to edit and have no idea what would make for captivating content. For those of you who have been on, or still are on, multiple platforms, especially TikTok or Youtube, what has been your experience? Are they easy to use? To learn? And where do you go to learn such skills?

No comments:

Post a Comment