Friday, January 19, 2018

Deadlines

In December I found myself thinking about my goals for 2018. Instead of worrying about the likelihood of accomplishing the staggering number of items on the list I just kept adding. This time I had a plan. Once I made my list (well over two full pages), I began breaking down the goals into small, monthly bite sized chunks. This made them seem far more attainable as I began the trek toward  fulfillment. I wrote out the monthly lists for January through April figuring I would assess again in April and make the next four at that time.

These first few months were then neatly tucked away in my computer bag so they would always be with me. They have indeed been with me, still where I placed them nearly two months ago. I have already broken from the original setup to try and move up the publication of my book Never Give UP from April to next month. This requires me to make a significant amount of editing progress almost everyday. I am failing.

I gave myself the deadline hoping it would spur me on but instead it feels like I added weight to an already questionable load. I announced the release of the book in order to make sure I would stick with the plan but that still has done nothing to push me forward on my progress. I began thinking the pressure might have been too much.

However it has been said that I thrive under the pressure. I compete in Nanowrimo every year simply for the deadline and its ability to force me to push past my doubts and concerns. Last year I even put together a multi-author book signing complete with venue, charity to benefit, attending authors, raffle prizes and entertainment within a short six week time period. Deadlines in some respects are my driving force. The biggest question at the moment is can I keep the same success rate with self imposed deadlines?

I know part of the ability to complete these tasks is willpower. The dedication to concentrate on the task at hand while forgoing things that may sound more desirable at the moment, holding out for the bigger reward in the end. I have always been better with the now than sticking it out for more later. This growth is part of looking at my writing as more than a hobby. It is about turning it into a potential career. Now if I can just get the next few chapters edited before I head back to the day job.

No comments:

Post a Comment