Monday, September 29, 2014

Passion for Animals

It has been a long journey to bring the vision I had to life. I have loved animals my entire life. I have always had pets, my family would adopt dogs and cats and while I have been proud of the ones we saved I always wanted to do more. I understand that a person and a household can only hold so many animals physically but a heart can hold so much more.

When I moved to Las Vegas I became more involved with local rescue groups and shelters. I spent time assisting with adoption events and gave items that I had to spare. I joined a number of groups on Facebook that support and network animals attempting to give them the love and homes that they deserve. One of the biggest needs though of these organizations is funding.

That is where I struggled because I have lived paycheck to paycheck working hard just to make my bills. I wanted to help but I just couldn't figure out how to raise money. My family has always been good at fundraising but I just couldn't come up with an idea of how to actually bring in the money. I thought about events, selling homemade candy and sweets but ultimately I was inspired by a fellow author that created a book series that donates the proceeds to charity.

I came up with the idea to gather stories, poems and essays from various writers and put them together in a collection to sell and then donate the proceeds to a charity that works with animal rescue. War Dogs Making it Home is the organization that was chosen for the first book and I couldn't be happier with the choice. They are a wonderful group that rescues dogs and trains them to work with veterans that deal with post traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injuries.

It is my hope that someday I am able to raise enough money to sponsor at least a few veterans and their dogs to go through the program and get the support they so need and deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment