Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Day 20 - October 11th

 Today was the longest day I had left going from Barstow to San Bernardino. It was a total of 81.2 miles according to my GPS app on my phone. I knew that there was a part that I would have to rack and drive because it was only passable on a mountain bike and none of my three would qualify but it was still set up to be a great ride.

We started from the Route 66 Motel in Barstow again and followed Main Street out of town where it turned into National Trails Highway. As soon as we left Barstow behind we were back in the high desert, pedaling up the hills and passing rocky outcroppings and looking at the mountains in the distance. We checked out a sign for the Two Sixes Company before heading to Elmer's Bottle Tree Ranch. We mentioned the stop to my mom but hadn't showed her any pictures or described it so she was surprised when we pulled up and she saw the trees made of glass bottles throughout the yard and all the knickknacks spread across the property.

From there we headed off through Victorville and drove through the Cajon pass where we knew we would have to use the car. As soon as we pulled off the I-15 we paused on the side of the road and pulled the bike down so I could finish the ride. I took Cajon Blvd. down to a turn that took us to a defunct diner and because it was mostly downhill in that section I made great time and didn't need to stop for long. We pushed on and made our way through back roads to Foothill where our hotel, and one of my mom's bucket list places to stay was located, The Wigwam Motel. I want to take a moment and thank Samir from the Wigwam Motel. When I reached out about the ride and the desire to stay here he came through for us big time and donated a room so we could stay and help with the extremely tight budget we have been operating on. He is a rockstar and the room is wonderful.

Tomorrow will be a long day because we are meeting with representatives from the Santa Monica Pier and Santa Monica Police to figure out the logistics of my last day on Thursday. When we get done with the meeting we will then reverse our route, drive back to the starting point and I will ride the 50 miles to Pasadena. I also have some friends coming to join me for the final day and they will be showing up tomorrow night. I know I will have mixed emotions on Thursday morning when everything is said and done but chief among them will be gratitude that I was able to do this and for the people who have stood by me and supported me and the charities to make this trip the success it has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment