Monday, October 10, 2022

Day 19 - October 10th

 Today was the first of my shorter rides. I specifically designed the ride to have the last 4 days be shorter to help bring my body back down from the intensity of the ride. I have been looking forward to getting to these days for a number of reasons but the shorter distances were definitely on the list. I left right from the hotel this morning and thankfully because of the drive to check out the route last night I knew where I was going and what to expect. It was all sun again and I wore a brim attached to my helmet to keep the heat and sun off me as much as possible.

My first stop was just a painted road marker and I went right by it before I knew it was even there. The next stop was at an RV park in Newberry Springs. When we stopped for some water and to take a quick picture the dog at the owner's house decided to announce his displeasure with our arrival. He eventually gave up and laid down but I kept an eye on him as I have with all dogs long the ride. Many dogs are not fans of bikes. 

From there I had just over 15 miles to a small market next to an old hotel ruins in Daggett. When I rode up to the front of the market the clerk was outside and asked where I was riding from. I told her we had come from Ludlow but when she asked about the Day 19 on my jersey I explained I have been riding for 19 days coming from Chicago. When my mom went inside to check out the drinks and snacks the clerk asked her more about the ride and what it was for. Before we took off for the last part of the journey she came back out and donated several bottles of water to the ride. I was touched and gave her a wristband as a thank you for supporting us.

The last leg from the market to Barstow was less than 10 miles but I had to ride for the final time along the I-40. I had previously made the decision not to get back on the highway but after driving the course yesterday I decided I could handle it one last time. I felt my heart race as I climbed the entrance ramp but got onto the freeway and the shoulder was wide and clear. I pushed as hard and fast as I could to get off there and back onto surface streets. I could feel my heart rate come back to something like normal as I turned onto Main Street in Barstow. I pedaled hard up the remaining hills and arrived at Route 66 Motel in just under 3.5 hours from starting. As soon as we loaded up we went to lunch at Roy's Cafe, another Route 66 site and then tried to check in early if possible. 

We were told the rooms weren't ready but they were gracious enough to accommodate a room switch request to keep us on the first floor to make moving the bikes and gear easier. We ran a few errands and appreciated that the early arrival gave us time to check out a couple things around town. I also confirmed a meeting I am having with the Santa Monica Pier to solidify the logistics of the last day on Thursday. I have 3 more days and this trip of a lifetime will be complete. Thank you to everyone that has helped, supported, and of course, donated to the charities. I couldn't have done any of this without my team and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment