Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Day 13 - October 4th

 I know it is the thirteenth day but it wasn't unlucky at all. We began the day in Moriarty leaving right from our hotel. I was on side roads in the beginning so we felt safe even though there was a little more traffic that usual to contend with. The first dozen or so miles was a climb but after that I went down the side of a mountain for close to twenty miles. I have never had to ride my brakes so much in any ride I have ever done but it was definitely the right way to go today. I admit there may have still been some trepidation about my previous crash making me more cautious as well.

Not long after I reached the bottom of the mountain I also made my way into Albuquerque. We saw a large group of hot air balloons in the distance which surprised us because the weather was cloudy and gray. I left my chase car as I rode onto a bike path, almost immediately I lost radio contact with the car. Shortly after I blew the front tire of the bike and had to call to arrange a place to meet the car to take it into a local bike shop. I want to give a huge shout out to Two Wheel Drive bike shop for jumping right in and getting us ready to go again. We made a quick stop to get my mom a stamp in her passport since it was just down the street from one of my stops. Then we were off again. I was riding and feeling pretty good when a storm cell opened up and hit so hard we once again had to rack the bike. We drove briefly to get past the bad weather and I was able to get back on at a Post Office parking lot in New Laguna.

From there I made my way back to the I-40. Today there was a much higher amount of traffic and Steve was on his CB radio almost constantly trying to let the truckers know I was there. I was hurting terribly and with clouds hanging low, swollen with rain and threatening another assault we had to make a decision to either push on until the finish or end the ride for the day. I chose to keep going. About six miles outside Grants I took an exit because the pain in my shoulder was immense and I needed the break. Steve let me know I could stay off the highway and take the road running next to the gas station we were at which was the Historic Route 66 so we figured that was our best option. I was only a couple miles out when the rain came back with a vengeance. It came down in buckets and soaked me head to toe. But I pushed on. I had Steve's voice in my radio telling me just three more miles, keep going. He encouraged me all the way through to the end and when I rode through the Neon Drive I nearly cried. The pain was there but it was also the hardest I have had to push and the most miles I have done since I was injured. 

I am still out here, digging deep, and working to do this ride for those I am riding for, the charities, and for myself as I heal little by little everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment