Sunday, October 2, 2022

Day 11 - October 2nd

 Today we hit the midpoint in more than one way. We finished the 11th of 22 days and also crossed over the halfway mark of Route 66. It took a few hours to reach that milestone and we had some great experiences along the way. We got up and loaded before the sun even rose and got to The Big Texan just as it broke the horizon. We took some start of day pictures then headed out, riding through town and even getting a couple miles on a beautiful trail before getting to the frontage road that ran along the highway. I have spent several days exploring frontage roads and it is fun to pedal while watching the traffic on the highway go zooming past.

Today as I was riding I heard an RV going by and honking at me. I waved but it wasn't until later I found out it was a couple I met yesterday who made a donation to the charities who saw me out riding and wanted to show additional support. 

Our first stop today was the famous Cadillac Ranch where I was able to get pictures of my bike with the paint covered cars in the background. There were close to a dozen people spray painting the vehicles as we walked around and we saw a guy selling souvenirs made from paint chips that come from the cars. We saw a group of motorcyclists that pulled up as we were leaving and later they passed us as we continued our trip toward Vega. We had some construction to contend with but pushed on and saw the Hickory Inn Cafe but it is closed on Sundays.

As we left Vega and set our sights on Adrian, the halfway mark of the trip. While on a quick break we saw another cyclist coming toward us. He came over and shared his mission of riding 48 states in 4 years and said Texas was state number 45 so he is almost done. He is riding for addiction recovery awareness and told us his own story of recovery. His name is Adam and he has a Youtube channel called Redeeming Eden. I was honored he wanted to interview me for the channel to share my story and I am thrilled to promote him as well. He will be turning 40 just a few weeks before I do so it was another kindred spirit moment. 

We had lunch at the Midpoint Cafe before going to the Glenrio Visitor Center and officially entering New Mexico. We ended the night in Tucumcari, NM and are excited to be heading to Moriarty. While I will be taking on new challenges everyday I am happy I am slowly recovering from my crash injuries and always pushing forward. We have less than 2 weeks until we cross the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment