Monday, October 10, 2022

Day 18 - October 9th

 Sometimes things happen beyond our control. We planned to see Goffs, Fenner, Amboy, and Ludlow during the ride and we did make it to each location but it required detours and compromises to make it happen. 

My stop was in Needles, CA but because I was working on a tight budget the hotel I was able to find for the night was 20+ miles away in Bullhead City, AZ. It meant we had a much earlier start than we wanted because we had to drive back to the starting point. We have seen a lot of road closed signs and detours and grew concerned when we saw a sign saying Goffs Road was closed but thankfully it was just a sign in place for upcoming construction work taking place later this month. We went down the sun drenched road with the temperatures already on the rise. My legs were burning as I attempted to get them into the zone for the ride. 

We finally made it to the Goffs Schoolhouse Museum where my mom was able to get a stamp in her passport and we got to check out items from a school house that is over 100 years old. There was even a sign on the grounds that read Goffs, CA Rattlesnake Capitol Of The World but thankfully we didn't see any. Once we were done checking everything out we made our way back to the main road and on to Fenner, CA.

It was a quick stop for a snack and some drinks because it was getting very warm. I knew the path between Fenner and Amboy was closed because it has been as long as I have been visiting California. Because of the length of time it has been closed and the fact it was initially closed due to storm damage I had serious doubts about my ability to make it through. We decided it would be best to rack the bike and drive to Amboy in order to make sure I wouldn't have any issues where I would be out of radio and GPS range. When we arrived in Amboy we had some snacks and prepared to ride the last leg to Ludlow but just a mile and a half from the gas station in Amboy we ran into another road block. Recent storms have taken out bridges along National Trails Highway between Amboy and Ludlow making it completely impassable. We had no choice but to rack the bike again and drive the rest of the way. 

I am disappointed I got to actually pedal so few of the miles designated for the day but just like dealing with anxiety, things come up and you have to find a way to make it work. I am fortunate enough to have a great team with me and they have kept me going whether my issues were physical, emotional, or even problems with my equipment. We did all drive the short route to Barstow to make sure my next ride would g smoothly and there would be no more road closures ahead. I am excited to get to the next few days and finish strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment