Saturday, June 3, 2017

Day 96 - Going Through Withdrawal

Last year I took part in a couple signings early in the year then filled in my summer months participating in craft shows. Unfortunately the craft shows proved to be less than ideal for authors. I did make a few sales here and there as well as had one of those moments where someone bought a book and took the time to contact me to let me know she truly enjoyed the story. Overall though it was not a great experience and ended up costing far more than I was able to earn. When I am able to get a few more books published and some merchandise created I may give it another shot but until then I don't think it is my best course.

This year I was excited to take part in more events. I thought I was on the right track when I got invited to be a part of signings at a couple of libraries, and then Authorpalooza came up earlier than last year. Things seemed to be off to a good start but now as I am working to push forward on my next group of projects I am feeling the pull to go to events and interact with readers. I know dedicated book events are best for being able to talk to readers as opposed to doing craft shows but at this point I am just wanting to be a part of things again.

It is like a strange form of social withdrawal and the only cure is to be a part of that environment. I am now researching events I can attend as well as continuing to write my books I have on tap for this year and even try to make progress on the design and inventory ordering of the merchandise I am creating. It is a slow process but I am sure I can get there if I can just stop feeling so scattered. Sometimes that is the most difficult part. When I have events to attend it helps keep me on track so I have enough books, bookmarks, swag and any other information needed to make each event special and successful.

People also ask from time to time, if they have seen you at more than one event, when the next book or books will be coming out. Because of that I need to make sure I am continuing to write as well as keep on top of my current books. There is a lot to do in order to make writing a viable business option, especially when you have a day job as well, but it is worth it. I just need to buckle down and make it happen. Right now I am off to find my next book event fix!

No comments:

Post a Comment