Monday, March 6, 2017

Day 6 - Taking The Leap Of Faith

I like to think of myself as adventurous and an adrenaline junkie. I love rollercoasters, skydiving and speeding around the racetrack at the local NASCAR experience. Cliff diving has always been something I wanted to try and last year I checked hot air balloon ride off my bucket list. Things like that have never scared me though I do have to contend with concerns such as motion sickness. I would never have classified myself as conservative in any way but I do have to fight insecurities.

The most recent example of this problem is my website. I designed it over six months ago. It took a long time to create the concept and decide on the color scheme but once I had made the decisions I still managed to toy around with nuances constantly. I was convinced I still had work to do in order to make it what I truly wanted it to be. The site I designed seemed far too simple and I kept wanting to add things but when I would add items it looked too busy. I just wasn't happy with it.

I have tinkered with it for months and now all I have left is officially purchasing my domain name and and publishing my site to the public. I think that almost all authors I know feel the same way about their books, newsletters and websites. Even when we hire people to create art or sites for us there is a sense of wanting to fix and edit constantly. The one part I have to keep in mind is that I have the ability to edit, add and modify things on the site even after it is published.

The newsletters and the books are more of a one shot deal but the website I have been working to perfect for so long is not a fixed commodity. I can alter it any time I need. Launching the website will also be the beginning of my newsletter push. I set up a contact page on my site where people can reach me as well as sign up for my monthly newsletter which means it is time for me to stop procrastinating.

I will always want to change things. I will never be completely satisfied with anything I produce. Even when I publish a book with it being professionally edited, beautifully designed cover art and formatted by an experienced publisher I will still find details I wish I could modify. Things are never absolutely perfect but it is a matter of taking the chance and learning from things as they arise. With breath held and fingers crossed it is time to officially enter the world of websites, newsletters and move forward in my writing career.

No comments:

Post a Comment