Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Websites

People have been asking for nearly two years about what my website is and where they can go to learn more about my work. Unfortunately due to several things in my life I have not had an adequate answer for them. I still don't though I am trying. There are a number of options when it comes to creating a website but they all come with their own pros and cons. I have been given a number of recommendations from people that have their own sites but I have run into concerns no matter which one I look into so I am still sitting at a stalemate when it comes to creating my site.

Because I am a part time author and looking to create my site to help promote this currently part time venture I have been leaning toward the free create your own sites idea. I have investigated Weebly.com and Wix.com the most. I can honestly say I have found Wix.com to be the more user friendly of the two but because I am technically illiterate it has still been a long running challenge. I am still engaged in attempts to create a site on my own through both weebly and wix as a way to gauge my abilities and also to save money which is one of the most important things I have to keep in mind.

I have spoken with some friends that design websites for a living and they all have ideas for me. Most would be willing to do it either for free or minimal payment but this still comes with some drawbacks. The first problem is that none of them are near to me but instead back in Michigan while I reside in Nevada. Because I don't know exactly what I want and will beed input as well as the ability to update information as I publish books and attend events. In order to be able to update and have the say I need in the future I need the site to be created with me sitting at the computer either as the designer or right by their side.

The only way for that to happen here would be to hire someone in the local area but as I previously mentioned I have very little money so it would have to be more of a student learning to do designing which puts them just above doing it myself in the grand scheme of things. There is still the need to make sure they would do what I want and be able to show me how to update information in the future. The few I have spoken with are not looking to design anything by my desires but instead create a site they can use as a portfolio piece. Without seeing eye to eye it is impossible to work with them so I find myself back at my computer working on the free design it yourself sites.

If anyone out there has any other suggestions I would love to hear about them. I am also open to someone in the Las Vegas area if they are able to teach me so I can finally get this website idea up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment