Monday, March 28, 2022

Charity Spotlight - NCADV

 Since I shared my book Survivor on Tuesday I thought it would only be right to discuss the charity connected to it as my first spotlight. Survivor is a based on true story fight back against domestic violence. The book focused on a fictionalized version of what happened to me when I was a teenager. For a number of reasons it is only based on what happened instead of being an actual memoir but I wanted to share my experiences to help show people like me they are not alone.

When I launched the book I did it as a fundraiser for a local shelter. What touched my heart about them was that they took in the women and children but also family pets. There are so many people that stay in bad situations because they worry about what will happen to the animals and most shelters aren't equipped to take pets as well as people. When preparing to do my ride I wanted to do national organizations that help an even wider group of people. So for the ride I chose to pair Survivor with the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

Established on September 22, 1978, the National Coalition's mission is to lead, mobilize and raise their voices to support efforts that demand change of conditions that lead to domestic violence such as patriarchy, privilege, racism, sexism, and classism. They are dedicated to supporting survivors and holding offenders accountable and supporting advocates. On their website they share statistics such as over ten million people per year are abused by intimate partners, or that twenty thousand calls per day are made to domestic abuse hotlines. They offer resources for survivors as well as current victims and offer a safe exit for those who need to hide their research from abusers. 

They also offer resources for employment, financial education, and creating a safety plan. There are ways to volunteer and donate of course, which is the part I will be focusing on in just under six months. There are also a number of informational tools located on their website, as well as a list of other organizations they partner with and events they hold. I would invite you to check out their site and see if something resonates with you.

www.ncadv.org

 

No comments:

Post a Comment