Monday, September 25, 2017

Working It Out

As I continue to adjust to a new schedule for awhile I find I am missing things I was doing a few months ago. I know this is a writing blog but one of the things I miss the most is working out. It is strange the way something that has nothing to do with your regular ambitions can help bring in a needed sense of balance.

When I'm working out, and consistently working out, it helps in so many other aspects of my life. Taking that single hour out of my day a couple times a week can be felt in everything else I do. When I get home I am still motivated and invigorated. That feeling causes me to reach for fruit salad instead of cookies as a snack. When I eat better I have even more energy and can go out and complete my to do list making me feel accomplished. This feeling carries over into my sleep, making it more restful an giving me the right attitude to start the next day and the cycle continues.

The happiness and accomplishment that comes from that feeling is also felt in my writing world. When I am less stressed, more focused, and more motivated, I am able to more easily break down the mountain of to do work and move forward with my goals. I finish books, update my website, learn new things I have been working on and even can stop by here with a smile on my face to give an update on the goings on of my writing life. This is the cycle I miss but have recently fallen away from.

I am currently working two jobs and the schedule keeps me busy every single day. I do not get a full, complete day off between the two so I have to make it work. I find myself worn out more often and unable to concentrate the way I need and want to. This inability has led to a bout of depression I am working to overcome. My body wants to rest all the time which makes it difficult to motivate myself to get up and go do anything. My chores get accomplished around the house but it takes twice as long as it should. Errands happen, kind of, and meetings take place but I feel like I am only partially present. Without my workouts I feel unfocused. I am hoping writing about it here will help push me to rejoin that world and give my stress an outlet so I can move forward once again.

For now I am going to start with making that fruit salad and trying to find something writing related I can finish before work so I can at least feel like I can check something off my current to do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment