Monday, January 15, 2018

Less Is More

When the term editing is used around a writer we suddenly have images of giant red pens stalking us over the pages of our manuscripts. We cower at the thought of our babies being shredded by the heartless objectivity and hold our words protectively in hopes of maintaining the vision we set out to create. Yes, in the end listening to an editor who has gone through your work to find the errors you were to close to see can help elevate it but it is still a difficult ask to complete.

When I talk about editing though, I have a few different meanings. That red pen does come to mind for me as it would with almost any other author, but I am thinking more along the lines of other aspects of our careers. Some might wonder, being an author what more is there when it comes to a career? It is all about the writing isn't it? The honest answer is, sort of. Everything starts with the books but there is so much more to a full career even if in the end everything you do comes right back to that book.

Once the book is written and has gone through the dreaded original version of editing we discussed there is the preparation for publication. Here I am looking at the synopsis and cover design. The synopsis should be short and punchy. It should get you interested without giving away too much information. The cover is the same thing. I have seen covers where the author designed it to tell the entire story in one picture. First there is now no reason to read that book, you already know what happens. Second, it was so busy I swear it gave me a headache. Something simple and evocative is the much better route to go.

Marketing follows and should flow in the same vein by keeping things simple and understood. Social media promos should all have a similar theme to make sure people know it is about the same book. Images should be clear and allow the reader to understand what you are trying to promote. This goes for websites as well. Since a major part of our marketing efforts come back to our websites they should also contain that same, solid message. Everything tying together while not overdoing it with unneeded decoration or frivolous words.

After reading up on the current minimization movement and being a number of people trying so hard in the marketing efforts that the message itself got lost I realized I was doing the same thing. I am now working to simplify my message and cement my brand so all of my marketing efforts will be presented in a united front.

No comments:

Post a Comment