Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Creative Escapes

At the beginning of the year I looked over my list of goals. One of the biggest things I am focusing on this year are my physical challenges. Of course I am a writer first and my writing / editing / publishing goals are huge priorities, but this year I want to try to improve my overall health through activities and improved diet. So far I have fallen short.

I have an injury I'm fighting in my right elbow that makes strength training painful. Without strengthening my upper body I will definitely struggle going through the Spartan Race next month. I am also supposed to be building up my stamina for running to prepare for the half marathon near the end of the year. All of these things are making my plans more difficult. I am not giving up in the least. I just need to find ways to work around the setbacks. My biggest issue seems to be that I get distracted from my physical ambitions by thinking about my writing ones.

I was talking to a friend recently who mentioned he was surprised I don't use running as a way to clear my mind and think about my writing stuff then. The truth is the only way I can clear my mind is if I am doing something that is second nature and can therefore zone out mentally to let my subconscious take over. I do that when I cycle as well as when I am stuck on long car trips. Swimming is another great example and of course, my favorite distraction, baking. We talked about the fact I listen to music when I run and he suggested instead trying to run without the music but I don't think I would even make it out the door without something blasting into my ears.

I listen to music with every activity I do. When I write I have specific playlists for every book. The melodies and themes of the songs help put me in the mood of the story. When I drive I have music going, either to keep me awake or help distract me from hours stuck behind the wheel. When I cycle I always have music going and I even had water proof bluetooth headphones for years to help when I swam. Baking is no different, though I listen almost exclusively to classical or pure instrumental music when baking. When I am lost in the moment of my activity, the music fades to a white noise and becomes a catalyst instead of an up front element to what I'm doing.

For me, running is not now and most likely will never be an escape. It is a challenge to overcome and then move on. For him running is an escape from daily life. I find that same meditative state and escape in creation. Whether I am making a mirror cake for my birthday, chocolate candies for christmas or a surprise my my boyfriend and his veteran friends in honor of a motorcycle ride, I can get lost in the moment. While I am mixing the batter I can feel the characters waking up. As the cake rises in the oven, I feel the story taking shape. While I spread the filling and frosting, I begin to understand something I didn't even know was happening. When I put the finishing touches on, I already have an outline in my head for either the scene or book that now wants to take priority. I have never experienced that with running. For me, life is all about my creative endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment