Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Changing Lifestyle

I have participated in Nanowrimo for six years and as I prepare for yet another year of reckless writing abandon I decided to read No Plot, No Problem! It was written by the creator of the Nanowrimo and I wanted to read about the origin of the annual challenge hoping to learn something new. Instead I was simply refreshed on the things I have learned by participating. Seeing things like the fact that the time management you learn during the month long noveling adventure is something that can carry over into the rest of normal life confirms that I absorbed all the lessons of the program by taking part.

This morning I began reading the next book on my reading list, The More Of Less. This book, unlike the last one, has taught me several things already. The topic of the book is learning to live a minimalist lifestyle. I admit that the word minimalist always brought on depressing images of stark rooms, single swinging lightbulbs over rooms stripped of warmth. In the first three chapters I have started to see a new version of what it means to live minimally.

One of the things I took in as I read was a series of questions about what I wanted out of going minimal. What would I do for work if money weren't an issue? What causes in the world are important to me? Who am I inspired by and what about them would I want to emulate? Honest answers to these questions didn't surprise me. I have always been passionate about animal rescue and in the past few years I have become much more vocal on the subject of domestic abuse. My parents are both inspirations to me from their adventurous spirit and giving nature to the work ethic and desire to put others first, both have been my hero my entire life. There is no question if money weren't an issue I would travel the world and write for a living.

As I read through the book, I began to see how reducing my unnecessary possessions and having additional time could afford me the chance to volunteer for the causes dear to my heart. My boyfriend and I have been discussing downsizing our home to save time cleaning and upkeep. It would also save money on utility bills and other aspects of everyday life which could allow me to work on writing more. I have a goal of pursuing a full time freelance career and writing my novels in order to allow myself the freedom to travel and work on my own schedule. Going minimal is a path we are planning to look into in order to help make my writing dreams a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment