Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Veneri Verbum Inspiration

I was scrolling through the world of Facebook the other day when I saw a post by a friend and fellow author about the next book she is planning to write in her Figments series. I was ecstatic to say the least. I have never been one to read a book and immediately ache for the next in a series. I did not get into Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones or any of those series as books, movies or shows. I did not eagerly await the revelations of the characters or see what adventures would unfold in the next book. With the Figments I do.

I first met her in the Nanowrimo Facebook group, a group neither of us belong to anymore. We chatted and I found her entertaining, intelligent and inspirational. I thought the idea of writing a book about Nano for Nano was inspired and couldn't wait to get my hands on it when she eventually published Veneri Verbum. I have read it multiple times and not a week goes by that I don't recommend it to someone. Then came the second book, Beta Beware. I was lucky enough to actually be a beta reader for this book and finished it in one day.

I could only ever hope I was half as humorous in my books. She is now preparing for the third book and I am chomping at the bit to get my hands on it. I read her books with a ravenous desire most other authors fail to ignite. I have even found myself thinking about things she mentions in the books as I go through my own writing. There is a part in Veneri Verbum that mentions a figment with just one ear because the author mentioned the character pressed their right ear (I think it was right) against a door. Being that specific caused the figment to only develop that ear since the other was never mentioned.

I will go through as I write, and even more so as I edit, to see if things like that stick out to me. I would hate to fall through a plot hole in one of my own stories and have to answer for every decision I have made in a book or need to talk down the angry mob of characters over a death I saw as inevitable. I try to be fair to my characters, not in small amount, due to reading things from their point of view. While the book is humor and well done in that category, as a writer myself it is an interesting look into the world of those we create as we tell our tales and weave our way through imagination land.

No comments:

Post a Comment